Give a dream
children between the ages of zero and six years
of these children have no access to any form of ECD
Help us make the change
we do this?
HeadStart Kids provides Nutrilite™ Little Bits™ - a supplement that combats micronutrient deficiency and stunting - to early childhood development centres in South Africa at no cost.
Donations and collaboration ensures that thousands of children have daily access to this nutrient. With our partners, we do haemoglobin testing for iron deficiency, deworming and continues measuring to track and monitor progress with all the children enrolled in the initiative. Budget-permitting we supply a fortified porridge for those in need.
Our core vision and holistic objectives are to dramatically reduce iron deficiencies which undermines learning and brain development, stunting and malnourishment amongst our most precious gifts – the children of South Africa.
- Headstart partners with ECD Forums and NGO’s in the ECD space to reach out to ECD centres in various footprints and assists with communication to principals.
- Fieldworkers handle the distribution of consent forms to explain the process.
- Our fieldworkers visit ECD schools in our footprints to do the necessary measuring. They also provide training to teachers on how to effectively add the Little Bits to the children’s meals. The measuring is done and then uploaded to the cloud via the latest technologies. This is also done so that our local and international stakeholders and funders are kept abreast of our progress at all times.
- Nursing students under the supervision of qualified nurses, administer bi-annual deworming and annual haemoglobin (HB) testing for iron deficiency.
- Eye and hearing assessment are done when additional funding is available.
90% of a child’s brain develops in the first five years of their life. It is critical to nurture the brain during this period. How do we do this? In collaboration with our partners in movement and enrichment education we address three core pillars:
In the first five years of a child’s life there are three important components that needs to be developed
The cornerstone of a healthy body is a healthy mind! Neither a body nor its computer, the brain, can work effectively if it’s not being fed the right nutrients. The Headstart Kids programme combats malnourishment and iron deficiency with regular deworming, monitoring and nourishment.
By teaching children the correct fundamental movement skills at the ECD level, children are prepared for the school environment where they are expected to throw, catch and run effectively, while still having fun.
Children learn best when they are encouraged to explore, interact, create and play. Play is the “work” of children; through play they develop their core learning skills – self regulation, creativity, curiosity, playfulness – and build the foundation for life-long learning.